Looking for older articles? Enter the News Archive.
Allegheny National Forest Outreach Notice
The Allegheny National Forest is outreaching for a Lands Surveyor. The purpose of this Outreach Notice is to determine the potential applicant pool for this position and to establish the appropriate recruitment method and area of consideration for the advertisement (e.g. technical or professional series, target grade or multi-grade and government-wide or DEMO).
The duties of the Land Surveyor for this position include:
• Provides professional land surveying input for the planning and programming of Forest land surveying priorities. Responsible for the implementation and accomplishment of the finalized program.
• Plans and directs the execution of survey projects of a complex nature usually associated with boundary disputes or title claims cases, but also including high-order geodetic surveys, right-of-way, easement, and engineering surveys.
• Recommends solutions to land disputes involving public land surveys, easements, right-of-way surveys, etc.
• Provides technical assistance and guidance to unit management and staff personnel on problems involving boundary disputes. This includes recommendations on administrative procedures, survey methods, evidence evaluation, legal interpretation, corner restoration, etc., consistent with Forest Service policy and standards.
• Provides leadership and technical direction in planning for and arranging the programming for remonumentation of all property and property-controlling corners, and delineation by posting and marking boundaries of lands under Forest Service jurisdiction adjoining those under private ownership.
• Consults with Registrar of Deeds, County Surveyors, other Registered Land Surveyors, property owners, Government officials, and all other sources, for record information of previous surveys or other data which affect or could affect the location of Forest Service property lines. Evaluates and tabulates such records for field use in the Forest land survey activities.
• Serves as Contracting Officer's Representative on survey projects formally contracted to private firms, prepares specifications, and/or reviews surveying contracts on the Forest. Makes inspections for compliance with technical engineering and contractual requirements. Upon completion of contracts, recommends approval of final payment.
• Interprets and writes legal descriptions and prepares plats and documents incident to land surveys.
• NOTE - A State Land Surveyor registration for the state(s) in which the duties will be performed, unless otherwise noted, will be required within one year of selection.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS for this position can be found in the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Operating Manual for Qualification Standards for General Schedule Positions, which is available from any Federal Government Personnel Office and OPM on their web site (http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/index.asp).
Here is the complete Outreach Notice.
Added: Thursday, November 19, 2015